Thursday, October 20, 2005

Y, I (MN: 2!)

(So: last two reviews tomorrow. I'll be wrappin' it all up on Monday- please stop by.)

Yo La Tengo- And then nothing turned itself inside out

The college radio station at UNH did what they could to book cool bands. My first year, I remember, found the whoppingly awesome bill of the Laurels, Edsel, and Pitchblende playing on Easter Sunday- welcome back, Jesus! Hope you like indie!

Then there was the radio station marathon show that featured Huggy Bear as headliners. Man, were they ever great, screaming their heads off and jerking around, then thanking the crowd in a very proper British fashion afterwards.

When Yo La Tengo came by, there was a pretty big buzz before the show, held in the Stratford Room, this simply cavernous space that looked empty for every show I ever saw in there. From what I heard, something like fifty people attended the gig, allegedly a very good one. I don’t know, because I blew Yo La Tengo off for my umpteenth Stricken For Catherine show. It was only years later that I came to appreciate the fragile, fuzzed-out dreamscapes of the New Jersey trio, delicate two-part harmonies intertwining with pretty drones to form ethereal chords that wink, hum and fade. The rockers, if you wanna call ‘em those, harness the same gentle precision and make ‘em move. Always welcome on shuffle despite the minors and flecks of melancholia.

You And I- Within The Frame
You And I- The Curtain Falls

Against the looming grey of skies inching towards winter, forlorn leaves on weathered branches shudder as gusts swirl and threaten to

ACK ACK ACK!

Flailing, spazzing out, the visual demonstrations of clichés that I had previously only read about in emo fanzines. Were all of the poses and attire standards, or was this band the epitome, the one act that everyone saw and wrote about? Either way, I was mightily impressed with the

ACK ACK ACK!

(ten seconds of silence)

ACK ACK ACK!

(jangly guitar part, no drums or bass)

check out our structure
changes for no real reason
just like this review

ACK! ACK ACK!

I wept as I drove from your house. Wept for my loss. My heart.
MY HEART! WEPT FOR MY HEART!
Tears fell on my sweater.
WEPT FOR MY SWEATER!
I gave you that handbag. Now his picture is in it.
HANDBAG!
WEPT!
HANDBAG!
MY INNOCENCE!
LOST!

Loss of innocence
innocence
handbag
loss
ack

ack

4 Comments:

Blogger Argentice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:17 PM  
Blogger music download gal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Sean Biggler said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Rosa Benito said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter