Monday, August 22, 2005

S, X

Iggy And The Stooges- Raw Power

Part of this gig is backtracking, checking out the past to make more sense of what’s going on in the present. So I checked out Iggy and the Stooges after years of hearing lip service paid to the man and his band.

The first thing to mention is that this is a newly remastered CD- apparently there were years of grumbles from Stooges fans, speculation about what ‘Raw Power’ would have sounded like had it been mixed so the bass was audible. I’m probably the worst person to comment on the whole debacle, seeing as how my limited Stooges knowledge comes from the re-release, not the original (I did find it new in a cutout bin, which may have some bearing on the argument).

First listen had me ready to pan Stooges fans as victims of critical hysteria- this is, after all, an album that starts off with the lyric “I’m a streetwalking cheetah with a heartful of napalm”, which, in addition to being very silly (but so silly that’s tough) dates the record instantly (napalm? Wasn’t that….oh, right. Vietnam! These guys are OLD!). Beyond that, though, a few lyrical miscues aside, the shit just slays. Iggy’s dynamic and has great range, and the guitars screech, howl and fairly jump out of the speakers and onto yr. jugular, proto-everything. It’s so easy to trace both punk and metal back to the Stooges catalogue, the snarling howls and calls of the no future desperate who don’t give a fuck about giving a fuck.

Sun Kil Moon- Ghosts Of The Great Highway

Mark Kozelek’s best album since ‘Songs for A Blue Guitar’- sounds like the cheeriest end of the Red House Painters’ spectrum. All the standard tricks and signifiers.

I feel like I should say more, but man, I had such a tough time reviewing all the proper R.H.P. records that I had to get Wesley Willis to guest/ghostwrite one review for me via a psychic.

Hey…..I wonder if she’s available. Hang on.





She IS! She’s going to connect me direct to a famous dead person. Wonder who I’ll get this time?

(Connection begins.)

Hello?

THIS IS BABE RUTH.

Get the fuck out of here.

THE BAMBINO.

What’s going on, my man?

I’M SO FUCKING GLAD THE SOX WON IT LAST YEAR. MOTHERFUCKERS ALWAYS SAYING THAT I DIED EARLY BECAUSE I LEFT BOSTON.

Is it true?

I WAS ALREADY SMOKING TEN BLACK CUBAN CIGARS AND FUCKING FOUR WHORES A NIGHT WHEN I WAS LIVING THERE.

This is beginning to sound a lot like a Denis Leary bit.

FUCK THAT. HE STOLE ALL OF HIS BEST JOKES FROM BILL HICKS, ANYWAY.

Whoah! You know Bill Hicks?

JUST BECAUSE I’M DEAD DOESN’T MEAN I’M STUPID. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING- I KNOW ABOUT A LOT OF THINGS. LIKE THAT PALMIERO KID JUICING. WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?

Did you ever do steroids, Babe?

I’M THE GODDAMN SULTAN OF SWAT, YOU ASSHOLE. I NEVER DID ‘EM, LOU GEHRIG NEVER DID ‘EM, JIMMIE FOXX. NOW THERE WAS A BALLPLAYER!

Uh, yeah. Listen, I need help with this Sun Kil Moon review. It’s Mark Kozelek, right, and he-

FOXX COULD HIT THE COVER OFF THE BALL. UNLESS MATTHEWSON WAS PITCHING. ONE OF THE BEST, KID. HIM AND SPAHN AND THAT NEW KID CLEMENS AND CY YOUNG. OL’ CY. I REMEMBER THIS ONE TIME AT THE HUNTINGTON AVENUE-

Sun Kil Moon?

FUCK MUSIC, KID, WE’RE TALKING BASEBALL! SO CY’S GOT THE TWELVE-SIX CURVE, AND HEY, DO YOU HAVE A LIGHT? BEEN A GODDAMN LONG TIME SINCE I HAD ONE OF THESE-

C’mon, man.

DON’T YOU FUCKING DARE C’MON MAN ME! I’LL WRING YOUR SCRAWNY LITTLE NECK LIKE A-

(connection ends, new curse begins. My fault.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter