Tuesday, April 19, 2005

H, IV

Hollies- Greatest Hits

I confess that the Hollies would fall into the ‘undefined oldies’ category had it not been for the influence of my pal Kevin Shine, who played this record whenever I’d let him use the stereo at summer camp (a bit of a tyrant in that way, me.) You probably know half a dozen of these songs- the big two are ‘Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress’ and ‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother.’ Not all of the singles are as schmaltzy as ‘Brother,’ thank God- the band did the psych-tinged British Invasion thing for a while, too, yielding such gems as ‘Carrie Anne’ and ‘Bus Stop.’ Fantastic stuff here. (Hollies factoid: Graham Nash used to be in the band!)

Hot Snakes- Automatic Midnight

I like Drive Like Jehu well enough, but have never thought of the band in the same reverential tones as a lot of my friends (read: musicians.) Man, you could almost hear the yelps of joy from the great scenester holding tank when the announcement was made that the Jehu songwriting team was getting back together to form Hot Snakes.

So how is it? Good. Heavy, bludgeoning rawk that doesn’t waste a lot of time developing tone or any of that shit- the goods are presented and then end when everything is said. I’m willing to bet that at least some of the scene kings/queens give this record a little bit of leeway because of the band’s aforementioned pedigree, but I’m sure there’s multiple instances of such hegemony in my own reviews, so we’ll give it to ‘em.

Various Artists- How Soon Is Now? The Songs Of The Smiths

How soon is now? Aside from the Garrison, Cursive and Instruction covers, not soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter