Tuesday, January 11, 2005

B, II

Bad Religion- 'The Process of Belief'

There was a period of time where I was buyin’ every new Bad Religion album that came out. Stopped right around the time when Gueriwitz left the band. I’m guessing that his return was the reason I bought this album. It makes me wish that I had started listening to the band before I took the SAT’s- my verbal would have gone up like a hundred points (‘Did they show you how to think/ cleanse your mind of sepsis and autonomy/or did you escape from scrutiny/and regale yourself in depravity.’) Same thing as Avail, only different- band finds formula that works and sticks with it, becoming a franchise in the process.
Unclean vocal production makes Graffin sound older (he is) and more immediate than on some of the earlier stuff, as well.

Barbaro- s/t

I bumped into Mike U. when I was doing laundry last week and told him about this project and how I was going to be coming up to his band sometime soon. He laughed. Right after that I walked doen to get a hot dog at Spike’s while I was waiting for my stuff to dry and hey, there was Megan behind the counter. I was hoping to bump into Schneider so that I could complete the day’s Barbaro trifecta, but no such luck.
If nothing else, know this: the band smoked. We used to joke about how Barbaro rhymed with Marlboro, corporate sponsorship, the whole ball of wax. Megan and Andrew up there grinding and yowling as Mike U. sat in back, the stoic conductor of the sound of cancer, flailing away with what always sounded to be eight limbs. The lulls in the set where things got all quiet like remission before the jams (and asses) were once again kicked all over the room. Jaws hitting the floor, the band lighting up another.
MIX TAPE: ‘Listen’

Battles- ‘EP C’

This experiment I conducted a few months back: You know how it’s said that playing Mozart for kids is an effective way to expand neural pathways? I wondered whether listening to Battles on the way to work would make me a better waiter. Three super tech guitarists playing over computer samples of same guitars while a drummer kept time- it got to the point where the line between performance and recording blurred completely when I saw them live. Little hints of tune that might not have even been there wafting by, phantom melody.
So I tried it. Three days in a row of Battles in the headphones as I walked to Brookline.
Thing is that I can’t remember if I was any better because of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter